- Private tour of the town Tachileik in Myanmar (Burma) and the Golden Triangle from Chiang Rai
- See Burmese temples including the Temple of the Enrobed Elephant and a replica of Yangon’s famous Shwedagon Pagoda
- Sample typical Burmese food in a local restaurant and shop for souvenirs in a bustling market on the northern Thai border
- Visit the Golden Triangle and learn about its opium-producing history at the fascinating Hall of Opium
- Enjoy traveling through the gorgeous scenery of northern Thailand by private vehicle with an experienced guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off included
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
What To Expect
Stop at the gold-trimmed Temple of the Enrobed Elephant and learn about the intricate architectural design. Admire typical Burmese temple architecture at the Maha Muni pagoda before continuing on to a gilded stupa replica of Shwedagon Pagoda that showcases a large golden Buddha flanked by statue disciples.
Another cultural highlight is a visit to a Long-neck Karen Hill Tribe village, where you can purchase handicrafts made by local artisans; each sale provides income for the community. As you explore with your guide, please limit photos of local women, whose elongated necks — traditionally adorned in heavy brass coils — represent beauty and tribal identity.
Stop for a restaurant lunch of Burmese dishes, then browse goods at a market before returning across the border into the Golden Triangle. See where Thailand, Myanmar and Laos meet at the confluence of the Mekong and Ruak rivers. On a visit to the Hall of Opium, learn about the region’s opium trade — now supplanted by tea production — with an alternate riverboat trip when the museum is closed on Mondays.
After your daylong private tour, you’re returned to your Chiang Rai hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 6 years
- A moderate amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Please note that dress codes are conservative throughout this tour; modest and respectful clothing that covers the shoulders and knees is recommended
- Hall of Opium is closed on Mondays. Travelers who book Monday tours will visit a different opium museum and take a boat trip on the Mekong River
- In order to receive your day pass into Myanmar you will be required to submit your passport to the Burmese immigration office and pick it up upon leaving Myanmar later in the day
- As this tour involves leaving and returning to Thailand, please ensure you have the correct Visa and are well-aware of what your Visa allows
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Green Trails Thailand
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by Private Tour: A Glimpse of Myanmar and the Golden Triangle Trip from Chiang Rai.