4 days (Approx.)
Hotel pickup offered
Offered in: English
Get off the beaten path on your hike to Machu Picchu with this incredible 4-day, 3-night trip along the less-crowded Lares trekking route. This high-altitude trail offers an unforgettable opportunity to immerse yourself in the culture of local Andean communities, set among the jaw-dropping scenery of the region’s rugged terrain. Meet local families, admire scenic vistas of glaciers and observe the area’s diverse wildlife. Cap it off with a visit to Machu Picchu, enjoying a 2-hour guided tour and time to wander on your own. Your Lares trekking experience also covers hotel pickup, two nights of camping and one night of hostel accommodations, a guide, bus and train transfers, entrance fees, three days of meals and snacks and horses to carry baggage.
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Led by a local guide
- Small-group tour
- Multi-Day Trip
- Vegetarian meal option available
Saved to wishlist!
Cuzco Accommodation Pick-Up
Van Cuzco - Lares Town (starting point of trek)
Round Trip Tourist Train Ollantaytambo - Aguas Calientes
Round Trip Tourist Bus Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu
Bus Ollantaytambo to Cuzco
Professional Bilingual Guide on trek & Machu Picchu tour
Camping Accommodation during trek (including basic sleeping mattress & tent for 2 people)
1-night 3* Hotel Accommodation at Aguas Calientes
Meals: 3B/3L/3D/3 snacks with typical menus (special dietary considerations available with prior notice)
Horses to carry cooking and camping equipment plus a total of 7 kilos for each trekker for the first 3 days of the trek. (This includes 2.5 kilos for your sleeping bag & mattress plus 2.5 kilos of personal items.
Cook who is responsible for preparing and serving all delicious Peruvian meals and snacks
First Aid kit & Emergency oxygen bottle
Small group experience; Max 15, Avg 4
Airport Pick-Up (please make your own way)
Sleeping Bag (Rental $15 USD for the trek)
Day 1 breakfast, day 4 lunch, bottled water
Accommodation Drop-off in Cuzco
Guide for bus and train transfers (these portions are on your own)
Hot Springs Lares town (10 soles)
Optional Huayna Picchu Trek (at an extra cost) must be booked at least 2 weeks in advance
Optional Machu Picchu Mountain Hike (at an extra cost) must be booked at least 1 week in advance
Small gift for communities
Accommodation in Cuzco
Tips (Please remember that tipping is 100% optional and depends entirely on the service you received. It is customary to give tips in Latin America, however it is NOT mandatory. If you do wish to give a tip, these are our recommended guidelines.) Guide: 40-60 soles per trekker Assistant Guide: 30-40 soles per trekker Horsemen: 60-80 soles for each horseman from the whole group Cook: 150-200 soles for the cook from the whole group
Note: Prices for optional activities are subject to change at any time without prior notice. Please confirm these prices before departing on the trek.
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
Pickup from accommodation in Cusco
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Minimum age is 7 years
- Note: There is a mandatory pre-departure briefing at our Cusco office the evening before your trek. You will receive detailed information on your excursion, a list of what to bring and confirm your departure details
- ypical Meals on the Trek: On all of our Inca Trail Treks and Alternative Treks to Machu Picchu we search for the best cooks who put forth their best effort to provide you with the best tasting meals on the mountain. All of our cooks pride themselves on their delicious specialty menus with the freshest local ingredients available. Every meal is prepared fresh with plenty of variety and an abundant quantity of food including a vegetarian option for every meal (please advise prior to departure). Here is an idea of what you will be eating during your trek. *Vegetarian Option Available Upon Request (please advise at least 2 days in advance). BREAKFASTS: Hot porridge, quinoa or oats, fried eggs, egg omelet or pancakes with fresh bread, fried bananas and boiled water for hot tea, coca, coffee, chocolate and milk. LUNCH & DINNER: First Course: Quinoa, corn, noodle, asparagus, mushroom or vegetable soup, stuffed avocado or potatoes. Second Course: Chicken breast, beef stew, quinoa, fried rice, hamburgers, fried chicken, spaghetti bolognese, typical dishes: aji de gallina (chilli pepper chicken), escabeche de pollo (marinated chicken) or ajiaco de olluco (spicy potato stew). Desserts: Fried plantains, chocolate pudding, chocolate or vanilla cake and boiled water for hot tea, coca, coffee, chocolate and milk. SNACKS: Boiled water for hot tea, coca tea, coffee, chocolate and milk with popcorn, cookies, crackers.
- Accommodation options: Days 1-2: Single travelers will share a tent with another traveler & couples will have a tent to themselves / Day 3: Single travelers will share a room with another traveler & couples will have a private room.
- Physical Requirements: This hike is difficult, good physical conditions are needed as most of the hike is at high altitudes of 4000 meters (don't forget to bring warm clothes).
- Departure dates for trek: Monday, Wednesday & Saturday (Daily departures with a group of 4 or more)
- Important: You must provide the following information upon booking: Full name (exactly as it appears on the passport), Date of birth, nationality, passport number, date of passport expiration, which must be valid for at least 6-months past the date of travel. Without this information, the local tour operator will be unable to make the booking. Please be aware that your complete and correct passport information must be provided. Absolutely no modifications can be made once your booking has been confirmed. Any changes or discrepancies in the information provided will result in a complete loss of permits and entrance tickets, for which you will be held responsible and will need to pay for again.
- Max 15, Avg 4
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- If desired, an extra night in Aguas Calientes town can be arranged. (Please let us know whether you would like to stay an extra night when booking your tour.)
- SUGGESTED PACKING LIST: Bring or Rent in Cuzco: hiking poles, rain pants, rain poncho, trekking boots, sandals, warm socks, sweater, thermals, hat, gloves, sun hat, sun block, sun glasses, flashlight/torch, camera, extra batteries and memory card (there is limited to no electricity available during the trek), waterproof bags for your camera, hand sanitizer, personal first aid kit, water bottle. Bring extra cash for snacks, water, gatorade which doubles or triples in price along the trail. Bathing suit for hot springs in Lares town (this activity is available at an additional price).
- DON'T FORGET THE ESSENTIALS: Original passport, visa (if applicable), insurance card, personal medications.
- Travellers who booked their trip using one passport, then renewed or replaced it afterward, must carry the old passport they used to make the booking or a photocopy with them on the trip.
- You will have a guide during the trek and on the Machu Picchu tour. However, during your bus and train transfers you will not be accompanied by a guide.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- PRE-DEPARTURE BRIEFING: There is a mandatory pre-departure briefing at our Cuzco Headquarters one day prior to departure at 5pm, 6pm or 7pm depending on your trek. You will receive detailed information on your excursion, a list of what to bring and confirm your departure details. PRE-DEPARTURE CHECK-IN: Please make sure to check-in with your passport before your pre-departure briefing. We encourage our travellers to check-in at our offices a couple of hours before or any day prior to the briefing , that way we can give everybody personal attention and information regarding booking extras, rental equipment or questions in general. Time schedule for meetings will be: - Inca Trail and Lares 6pm - Salkantay, Inca Quarry, Machu Picchu Jungle, Ausangate, Choquequirao 7pm - Inca Trail Express, Rainbow Mountain, Machu Picchu by Train, Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu, Machu Picchu Full Day 5pm Bamba Experience is located at: Calle Matara 242, Second Floor. Cuzco, Peru Hours of Operation: 10:00-14:00 and 16:00-20:00 hrs Daily Tel: +51 84 205234 Emergency Tels: Darwin +51 9984 44933 - +51 9842 85801, Anderson +51 9231 25342
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY Bamba Experience Inc
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties. Learn more about cancellations.
Product code: 11413P4
Explore Similar Things to Do
4WD ToursRail ToursSporting EventsBus ToursHikingArchaeology ToursNature and WildlifeMulti-day ToursExtremeWalking & Biking ToursMulti-day & Extended ToursCultural & Theme ToursDay Trips & ExcursionsSightseeing Tickets & PassesOutdoor ActivitiesTours & SightseeingCusco4WD Tours - Sacred ValleyRail Tours - Sacred ValleySporting Events - Sacred ValleyBus Tours - Sacred ValleyHiking - Sacred ValleyArchaeology Tours - Sacred ValleyNature and Wildlife - Sacred ValleyMulti-day Tours - Sacred ValleyExtreme - Sacred Valley4WD Tours - Puerto MaldonadoRail Tours - Puerto MaldonadoSporting Events - Puerto MaldonadoBus Tours - Puerto MaldonadoHiking - Puerto MaldonadoArchaeology Tours - Puerto MaldonadoNature and Wildlife - Puerto MaldonadoMulti-day Tours - Puerto MaldonadoExtreme - Puerto Maldonado4WD Tours - ArequipaRail Tours - ArequipaSporting Events - ArequipaBus Tours - ArequipaHiking - ArequipaArchaeology Tours - ArequipaNature and Wildlife - ArequipaMulti-day Tours - ArequipaExtreme - ArequipaCategory
Cochahuasi Animal Sanctuary (Santuario Animal de Cochahuasi)Ollantaytambo RuinsMt. Vinicunca (Rainbow Mountain)Planetarium CuscoInca Museum (Museo Inka)TambomachayQ'enqo (Qenko)Sacred Valley (Urubamba Valley)San Pedro de Andahuaylillas (Sistine Chapel of the Americas)Cusco Historic Center (Centro Historico de Cusco)Centro de Textiles Tradicionales del Cusco (CTTC)Raqch'iPre-Columbian Art Museum (MAP)Quechua VillagePisac Indian MarketMt. PutucusiChoquequiraoSalkantay TrailPlaza de Armas (Huacaypata)Inca Quarry Trail