Are you interested in?
Machu Picchu Tours
683 Tours & Activities
Salkantay Trail Tours
93 Tours & Activities
1099 Tours & Activities
5 days (Approx.)
Hotel pickup offered
Offered in: English
Take up the challenge of this rugged 5-day, 4-night trip to Machu Picchu along the Salkantay trekking route. This rigorous hike offers stunning views of both snow-covered Andean peaks and lush jungle, plus a trip through a mountain pass at 15,200 feet (4,650 meters). You’ll also get up close with Peruvian indigenous communities as you explore villages like Soraypampa and Santa Teresa, before finishing your trek at the unforgettable Machu Picchu with a guided tour. This Salkantay trek also features hotel pickup, guide three nights of camping and one night of hostel accommodation, bus and train transfers, four days of meals and three snacks, entrance fees and horseman and mules to help carry gear.
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Led by a local guide
- Small-group tour
- Multi-Day Trip
- Vegetarian meal option available
Saved to wishlist!
Cuzco Accommodation Pick-Up
Van Cuzco to Mollepata to Challacancha (starting point of trek)
Car Transfer La Playa to Santa Teresa
Round Trip Tourist Bus Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu
Tourist Train Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
Bus Ollantaytambo to Cuzco
Professional Bilingual Guide on trek & Machu Picchu tour
Camping Accommodation during trek (including Basic Sleeping Pad & tent for 2 people)
1-night 3* Hotel Accommodation at Aguas Calientes
Meals: 4B/4L/4D/3 snacks with typical menus
Horseman and mules to carry cooking and camping equipment plus a total of 7 kilos for each trekker. (This includes 3 kilos for your sleeping bag & mattress plus 4 kilos of personal items.
Emergency oxygen bottle
Small group experience; Max 16, Avg 4
Airport Pick-Up / Drop Off
Day 1 Breakfast, Day 5 Lunch, Bottled Water
Guide for bus and train transfers (these portions are on your own)
Optional Hot Springs Santa Teresa (20 soles)
Optional Bus transfer from Santa Teresa to the Hydroelectric Station (10 soles)
Optional Train transfer from Hydroelectric Station to Aguas Calientes (28 USD)
Optional Huayna Picchu Trek (at an extra cost) must be booked at least 2 weeks in advance
Optional Machu Picchu Mountain Hike (at an extra cost) must be booked at least 1 week in advance
Accommodation in Cusco
Tips (Please remember that tipping is 100% optional and depends entirely on the service you received. It is customary to give tips in Latin America, however it is NOT mandatory. If you wish to give a tip, these are our recommendations.) Guide: 40-60 soles per trekker Assistant Guide: 30-40 soles per trekker Horsemen: 60-80 soles for each horseman from the whole group Cook: 150-200 soles for the cook from the whole group
Note: In 2017, the Peruvian government may require a permit for Salkantay. If this is approved, the rates will be around: 133 Soles ($USD 41) Adult and 67 Soles ($USD 21) Student
Note: Prices for optional activities are subject to change at any time without prior notice.
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
Pick-up from accommodation in Cuzco
There is a mandatory pre-departure briefing at our Cuzco Headquarters one day prior to departure at 5pm, 6pm or 7pm depending on your trek. You will receive detailed information on your excursion, a list of what to bring and confirm your departure details.
Please make sure to check-in with your passport before your pre-departure briefing. We encourage our travellers to check-in at our offices a couple of hours before or any day prior to the briefing , that way we can give everybody personal attention and information regarding booking extras, rental equipment or questions in general.
Time schedule for meetings will be:
- Inca Trail and Lares 6pm
- Salkantay, Inca Quarry, Machu Picchu Jungle, Ausangate, Choquequirao 7pm
- Inca Trail Express, Rainbow Mountain, Machu Picchu by Train, Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu, Machu Picchu Full Day 5pm
Bamba Experience is located at:
Calle Matara 242, Second Floor. Cuzco, Peru
Hours of Operation: 10:00-14:00 and 16:00-20:00 hrs Daily
Tel: +51 84 205234 Emergency Tels: Darwin +51 9984 44933 - +51 9842 85801, Anderson +51 9231 25342
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Minimum age is 7 years
- PRE-DEPARTURE BRIEFING: There is a mandatory pre-departure briefing at our Cuzco Headquarters one day prior to departure at 5pm, 6pm or 7pm depending on your trek. You will receive detailed information on your excursion, a list of what to bring and confirm your departure details.
- PRE-DEPARTURE CHECK-IN: Please make sure to check-in with your passport before your pre-departure briefing. We encourage our travellers to check-in at our offices a couple of hours before or any day prior to the briefing , that way we can give everybody personal attention and information regarding booking extras, rental equipment or questions in general. Time schedule for meetings will be: - Inca Trail and Lares 6pm - Salkantay, Inca Quarry, Machu Picchu Jungle, Ausangate, Choquequirao 7pm - Inca Trail Express, Rainbow Mountain, Machu Picchu by Train, Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu, Machu Picchu Full Day 5pm Bamba Experience is located at: Calle Matara 242, Second Floor. Cuzco, Peru Hours of Operation: 10:00-14:00 and 16:00-20:00 hrs Daily Tel: +51 84 205234 Emergency Tels: Darwin +51 9984 44933 - +51 9842 85801, Anderson +51 9231 25342
- Accommodation Options: Single travelers will share a tent/room with another traveler & couples will have a tent/room to themselves. Day 4: Single travelers will share a room with another traveler & couples will have a private room.
- Physical Requirements: This hike is demanding, it is important to be in good physical condition. There are important temperature changes associated with altitude changes (from 4000 meters to 2000 meters).
- Departure dates for trek: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday (Daily departures with a group of 4 or more). No Departures in January and February due to unfavorable climatic conditions.
- Important: You must provide the following information upon booking: Full name (exactly as it appears on the passport), Date of Birth, Nationality, Passport Number, Date of Passport Expiry - Must be valid for at least 6 months past the date of travel. Without this information, the local tour operator will be unable to make the booking. Please be aware that your complete and correct passport information must be provided. Absolutely no modifications can be made once your booking has been confirmed. Any changes or discrepancies in the information provided will result in a complete loss of permits and entrance tickets, for which you will be held responsible and will need to pay for again.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Typical Meals on the Trek On all of our Inca Trail Treks and Alternative Treks to Machu Picchu we search for the best cooks who put forth their best effort to provide you with the best tasting meals on the mountain. All of our cooks pride themselves on their delicious specialty menus with the freshest local ingredients available. Every meal is prepared fresh with plenty of variety and an abundant quantity of food including a vegetarian option for every meal (please advise prior to departure). Here is an idea of what you will be eating during your trek. Vegetarian Option Available Upon Request (please advise at least 2 days in advance). BREAKFASTS: Hot porridge, quinoa or oats, fried eggs, egg omelet or pancakes with fresh bread, fried bananas and boiled water for hot tea, coca, coffee, chocolate and milk. LUNCH & DINNER: First Course: Quinoa, corn, noodle, asparagus, mushroom or vegetable soup, stuffed avocado or potatoes Second Course: Chicken breast, beef stew, quinoa, fried rice, hamburgers, fried chicken, spaghetti bolognese, typical dishes: aji de gallina (chilli pepper chicken), escabeche de pollo (marinated chicken) or ajiaco de olluco (spicy potato stew). Deserts: Fried plantains, chocolate pudding, chocolate or vanilla cake and boiled water for hot tea, coca, coffee, chocolate and milk. SNACKS: Boiled water for hot tea, coca, coffee, chocolate and milk with popcorn, cookies, crackers.
- Brief History of Machu Picchu & Advice: Machu Picchu was (relatively recently) "discovered" by American historian, Hiram Bingham, in 1911 while searching for the legendary "lost city of the Incas". Hiram Bingham and his local guides stumbled across the site which was then covered in thick vegetation which was later cleared revealing the magical mountain-top archaeological site and opening up the possibility for archaeologists to conduct research on the site by 1915. Whether arriving via Inca Trail or entering from Aguas Calientes don't miss the excellent photo opportunities from the following spots: Hut of the Caretaker of the Funerary Rock (a restored building with a thatched roof), Sacred Plaza with views of the Cordillera Vilcabamba in the distance and Rio Urubamba below. Take a short walk out to the Inca Drawbridge (30 minutes) and Inti Punku (45 - 60 minutes) for great views of the site as dawn breaks and the clouds lift over Machu Picchu.
- SUGGESTED PACKING LIST: Bring or Rent in Cuzco: hiking poles, rain pants, rain poncho, trekking boots, sandals, warm socks, sweater, thermals, hat, gloves, sun hat, sun block, sun glasses, flashlight/torch, camera, extra batteries and memory card (there is limited to no electricity available during the trek), waterproof bags for your camera, hand sanitizer, personal first aid kit, water bottle. Bring extra cash for snacks, water, gatorade which doubles or triples in price along the trail. Bathing suit for hot springs in Santa Teresa Town (this activity is available at an additional price).
- DON'T FORGET THE ESSENTIALS: Original passport, visa (if applicable), insurance card, personal medications.
- Travellers who booked their trip using one passport, then renewed or replaced it afterward, must carry the old passport they used to make the booking or a photocopy with them on the trip.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- You will have a guide during the trek and on the Machu Picchu tour. However, during your bus and train transfers you will not be accompanied by a guide.
- If desired, an extra night in Aguas Calientes town can be arranged. (Please let us know whether you would like to stay an extra night when booking your tour.)
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- OPERATED BY Bamba Experience Inc
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties. Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What is the maximum group size during Salkantay 5-Day Trek To Machu Picchu?
This activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers.
See all safety measures taken by Salkantay 5-Day Trek To Machu Picchu.
See all safety measures taken by Salkantay 5-Day Trek To Machu Picchu.
Product code: 11413P9
Explore Similar Things to Do
4WD ToursRail ToursSporting EventsBus ToursHikingArchaeology ToursNature and WildlifeMulti-day ToursExtremeWalking & Biking ToursMulti-day & Extended ToursCultural & Theme ToursDay Trips & ExcursionsSightseeing Tickets & PassesOutdoor ActivitiesTours & SightseeingCusco4WD Tours - Sacred ValleyRail Tours - Sacred ValleySporting Events - Sacred ValleyBus Tours - Sacred ValleyHiking - Sacred ValleyArchaeology Tours - Sacred ValleyNature and Wildlife - Sacred ValleyMulti-day Tours - Sacred ValleyExtreme - Sacred Valley4WD Tours - Puerto MaldonadoRail Tours - Puerto MaldonadoSporting Events - Puerto MaldonadoBus Tours - Puerto MaldonadoHiking - Puerto MaldonadoArchaeology Tours - Puerto MaldonadoNature and Wildlife - Puerto MaldonadoMulti-day Tours - Puerto MaldonadoExtreme - Puerto Maldonado4WD Tours - ArequipaRail Tours - ArequipaSporting Events - ArequipaBus Tours - ArequipaHiking - ArequipaArchaeology Tours - ArequipaNature and Wildlife - ArequipaMulti-day Tours - ArequipaExtreme - ArequipaCategory
Raqch'iSacred Valley of the IncasInca Museum (Museo Inka)TiponCentro de Textiles Tradicionales del Cusco (CTTC)San Pedro de Andahuaylillas (Sistine Chapel of the Americas)Mercado Central de San PedroCusco Historic Center (Centro Historico de Cusco)ChoquequiraoTambomachayPiquillacta (Pikillaqta)Plaza de Armas (Huacaypata)Ollantaytambo RuinsBelmond Hiram BinghamSacred Valley (Urubamba Valley)Aguas CalientesPisac Indian MarketMt. PutucusiAusangate TrailAgricultural Terraces of Moray