- Discover the ancient city of Constantinople and learn about the city’s significant early Christian sites
- Visit the Ecumencial Orthodox Patriarchate in Fener, home to the ceremonial head of the Greek Orthodox church
- See a shrine to the Holy Virgin at the Church of St Mary of Blachernae
- Explore the ruins of ancient Blachernae Palace and see Anemas Dungeons
Departure & Return
Please be ready in front of Tamara Restaurant at 13:15 and look for blue and white Midibus/Minivan with the logo of Plan Tours and Gray Line
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Next, admire the Ecumencial Orthodox Patriarchate in the Greek district of Fener. Gain insight about the liturgical leader of the Greek Orthodox Church who is based here. Closeby, see Church of St George (the site’s primary church) and observe the elegantly decorated Byzantine patriarchal seat.
Drive on to the district of Ayvansaray, formerly called Blachernae during Byzantine times, and observe the historical Eastern Orthodox church – Church of St Mary of Blachernae. While this church’s architecture is not a typical beauty, its significance in the Eastern Orthodox Community is important since the shrine of the Holy Virgin is worshipped within. With your guide enter the church and gaze over the holy water spring.
Onwards to another important Byzantine monastery in the Western district. Stop and visit the beautiful Chora Church and relish its fresco painted walls. Hear from your guide how the details were far beyond the rest of Byzantine artwork. Then, marvel at the vibrant mosaics within that create an entrancing ambiance.
Loop back to Ayvansaray and uncover the history within the venerable Blachernae Palace. Observe the ruins of this once grand palace and soak in the greatness that once thrived here. Let your imagination soak up frightful feeling as you observe the Byzantine prison exterior known as the Anemas Dungeons. Then, see the outside of the Tekfur Palace (or spend time at Palace of Constantine Porphyrogenitus) – the Blachernae Palace’s last remaining building.
Finally, promenade beside the Walls of Constantinople, and enjoy the ruins of this old city’s gates and towers. After a day becoming a Byzantine history buff, hop back on your coach and head to the center of the Sultanahmet neighborhood where your tour ends.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please note: When reconfirming your booking, your local supplier will advise you on alternative meeting points for hotels which are not accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- OPERATED BY Plan Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms