- Cocktail tour in the French Quarter with expert local guide, from New Orleans
- Includes four cocktails on visits to four bars
- Savor a Sazerac in a former icehouse that once supplied ice to many New Orleans bars
- Visit the elegant bar at the Bourbon Orleans Hotel, which was a convent in the 19th century
- Soak up the atmosphere at two of New Orleans’ establishments
- Learn why absinthe drinking was banned for decades in the US and Europe
- Hear fascinating and informative commentary on cocktail history in The Big Easy from your native guide
Departure & Return
What To Expect
Your second visit will be to SoBou, a local favorite that’s part of the acclaimed Commander’s Palace family. There, try one of two versions of the classic Sazerac, a recipe attributed to a Creole apothecary in the 19th Century – when cocktails constituted medicine! Then head Tujague’s, the oldest authentic Creole restaurant in New Orleans, serving loyal locals since 1856. Sample a sweet, minty Grasshopper – invented here! – or a French 75: brandy and Champagne with lemon and simple syrup.
Your final stop is at Bourbon “O” Jazz Bar to sample the obscure yet beloved Roffignac cocktail, a nod to the city’s last French‐born mayor. If you’re in need of some tasty nibbles, stay on (where you tour ends) or head to the hip Faubourg‐Marigny quarter nearby.
Along the way, learn fascinating histories including the controversy around absinthe, and the cocktail‐related tales of (unexpected) venues such as the New Orleans Pharmacy Museum and Napoleon House.
Please note: Some bars have a dress code. Men are discouraged from wearing tank tops.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 21 years
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Almost all cocktails are vegan-friendly
- Walk is approximately 1-mile
- Service animals allowed
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- All venues subject to change based on availability
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- OPERATED BY Doctor Gumbo Tours
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
See all safety measures taken by New Orleans Cocktail History Walking Tour in the French Quarter.
- "Highly recommended and the perfect start to a great evening." See review