- 2-day trip from Paris to WWI sites in northern France and Belgium
- Explore the areas of Ypres Salient and the Somme to see where some of the war’s biggest battles took place
- Visit several battlefields, cemeteries, museums and landmarks including the Hill 60 battlefield, Essex Farm, Tyne Cot Cemetery and Lochnagar Crater
- Spending the night in Lille enables you to attend the Last Post nighttime ceremony in Ypres
- Hear stories and learn about the war from your expert guide
- Overnight accommodation in a 3-star hotel, with breakfast included
- Small-group tour limited to 12 people ensures a more personalized experience
Departure & Return
Departure PointCentral Paris, near the Ecole Militaire metro stop
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
See for yourself the land where, in the years 1914-1918, hundreds of thousands of young men on all sides of the war fought and died. In particular, British Commonwealth soldiers made up a large part of the forces around Ypres, with roughly 185,000 Commonwealth troops dying in the Ypres Salient by the end of the war.
Travel to the most important WWI battlefields, monuments, memorials and cemeteries in and around Ypres, including the Tyne Cot Cemetery, John McCrae's Essex Farm site, Langemark German Cemetery and Vancouver Corner, a memorial to Canadian soldiers. Try to imagine the Battle of Hill 60 as you walk with your guide through the modern landscape, forever damaged from the war.
Visit the city of Ypres to tour St George's Chapel, and head to the Menin Gate to attend the Last Post ceremony. This tradition takes place every evening at 8pm, a 'salute to the fallen,' and day-trippers rarely have a chance to see it. By staying the night in Lille, you're able to witness this moving tribute. When the ceremony is complete, travel with your guide to your hotel in Lille.
Overnight: Ibis Lille Opera or another similar Lille hotel
Day 2: Lille-Somme-Paris (B)Take advantage of the included breakfast at your hotel before you meet your guide to being your second day touring the local WWI sites. This day is dedicated to the Somme, an area of France whose name is almost synonymous with the brutality of WWI.
Visit the site of the Battle of Pozières, the Thiepval memorial, the Beaumont-Hamel Newfoundland Memorial, the Villiers-Bretonneux Australian National Memorial and the town of La Boiselle, where you'll see the enormous Lochnagar Crater. The crater is 300 feet across and 90 feet deep, the largest crater made during a time of war.
After seeing these critical places in the Somme, climb back into the minivan for the return drive to Paris.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Accommodation is in double or twin rooms with private bathrooms
- 1 regular size suitcase and 1 piece of hand luggage allowed per person
- Tour may not be suitable for children under 10 years old
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Paris Trip Touring France
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
See all safety measures taken by 2-Day WWI Tour from Paris: Ypres and Somme Battlefields.