- Discover Bukit Merah, Orang Utan Island, Taiping and Perak Museum on a comprehensive day trip from Penang
- Cross one of southeast Asia's longest bridges—the Penang Bridge
- See endangered orangutans at the conservation center on Orangutan Island
- Visit the highlights of Taiping, a well-preserved tin-mining town with a gorgeous mountain backdrop from the Bintang Range
- Check out the extensive and unusual natural history collections at the Perak Museum, Malaysia’s oldest museum
- Learn from your private guide about Malaysia’s wildlife and the challenges of conservation
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
What To Expect
Upon arrival, you’ll follow your guide on a 10-minute boat ride across calm waters to the stunning Orangutan Island. This quiet sanctuary is home to these endangered animals, as well as a staff of individuals charged with protecting and preserving them. Wander the paths with your friendly guide and learn about the efforts to protect their habitat as you keep your eyes peeled for roaming orangutans and maybe even some of their playful babies!
Leave the island head to Taiping, where you’ll visit a well-preserved tin-mining town and visit Perak Museum, one of Malaysia's oldest museums. Enjoy lunch (own expense) before returning to your Penang hotel via the Penang Bridge. Enjoy epic views and snap some memorable photos along the route before your journey ends.
Please note: In case the Bukit Merah Laketown Orangutan Island is not open, you'll visit the Kuala Sepetang mangrove forest and see a charcoal kiln where charcoal is produced.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- 2 passenger minimum per booking required
- A moderate amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking shoes and insect repellent are recommended
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- In case the Bukit Merah Laketown Orangutan Island is not operating, we will replace with a visit to Kuala Sepetang mangrove forest and a charcoal kiln where charcoals are produced
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- **Bukit Merah lake water currently is decreasing, therefore, the boat schedule to Orang Utan Island has been reschedule from 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- OPERATED BY Asian Overland Services
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
See all safety measures taken by Orang Utan Island and Taiping from Penang.