Explore our promoted experiences
- Mt. Tarawera helicopter flight and walking tour from Rotorua
- Take a guided walk on Mt. Tarawera
- Listen to insights about the terrain from the knowledgeable pilot
- Enjoy panoramic views of volcanic terrain
Departure & Return
Rotorua City Lakefront
What To Expect
Soaring over Lake Tarawera, the helicopter circles the volcanic terrain, including a vast crater system formed by the 1886 eruption, which covered the village of Te Wairoa and took 153 lives. Learn about the destruction of the Pink and White Terraces — waterfall pools that drew 19th-century tourists to the shores of Lake Rotomahana.
Upon landing, disembark the chopper with your guide and explore Mt Tarawera on foot. Walk past otherworldly craters and volcanic domes and compare the region’s geologic history with Maori legend as you listen to colorful commentary.
After your exploration on the ground, re-board the helicopter for the return flight to Rotorua.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Due to comfort and balance of the aircraft, the maximum weight per seat/passenger is 297 lbs (135 kg)
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- OPERATED BY Volcanic Air Ltd
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms