- Jozankei mountain bike tour from Sapporo
- Cycle an easy 1.5-hour paved path with an expert guide
- Enjoy canyon views as you pedal across the Toyohira River, decorated with leaves in autumn
- Soak in a large, outdoor mineral bath at Hoheikyo Onsen
- Taste snacks in the town of Jozankei and enjoy a curry lunch at Hoheikyo
- Small-group tour limited to 10 ensures a personalized experience
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Start your mountain bike adventure with a morning pickup in Sapporo, continuing about an hour to the start of your ride. Before you head out, get fitted with a bike, helmet and gloves, and listen to a brief safety overview of your ride.
Then start off on a 1.5-hour mountain-biking trip along a peaceful path tracing the Toyohira River, its waters swollen with runoff from the melting snow of the Jozankei Valley. Along the way you’ll cross a picturesque suspension bridge and enjoy sublime views of the river canyon below. Your ride finishes with a steep downhill into Jozankei, a town of traditional onsen hot spring baths first discovered by a local monk in 1866. You’ll be able to see the steam rising from these naturally heated baths as you wander the town.
Stop for a quick bite of onsen manju, a snack made of a bun filled with azuki-bean paste, before continuing on a steep ride back uphill towards the Shirai River. Bike back over the Toyohira, where you can dip your feet in the cool waters, before heading to the nearby Hoheikyo Onsen for your soak.
The 6-mile (10km) ride finishes at this heated spring, ranked in 2013 by TripAdvisor users as one of the area’s top hot spring day trips. Ease your way into an indoor bath, letting the tension from your muscles fade away, or head to one of the site’s three outdoor pools, where you can take a dip among the beautiful mountain landscape. Enjoy a 1-hour soak at the pool of your choice, letting the site’s 100-percent pure waters fed exclusively by hot spring, relax and rejuvenate your body.
Finish your cycling trip with a delicious lunch of Japanese curry, considered to be Jozankei’s most popular food, accompanied by tasty naan bread for dipping, at the onsite restaurant.
After lunch, return by minivan to your starting point in Sapporo.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 10 years
- Recommended height is 1.45m (4.75 foot) or taller
- A maximum of 12 people per booking
- Please wear comfortable long sleeve shirts, long pants and shoes suitable for exercising. Jeans are not recommended
- Recommended to bring sunglasses or some kind of eye protection, change of clothes and bath towel. Bath towel can be rented for JPY510
- Hot spring facility will have body soap, shampoo and conditioner for you to use for free of charge
- Please bring your own water (rental bikes have water holder)
- Windbreaker jacket is recommended to bring during spring and fall season
- The mountain bike course may be changed due to road conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- OPERATED BY Giro 21
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
See all safety measures taken by Mountain Bike Tour from Sapporo Including Hoheikyo Onsen and Lunch.