- Half-day tour of Pingxi from Taipei
- Learn about Taiwan’s heritage on a visit to the historic coal-mining town of Pingxi
- Stroll down Shifen Old Street, where movies such as ‘Dust In The Wind’ were filmed
- Enjoy magnificent views of Shifen Waterfall
- Hotel pickup and drop-off included
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
We pick up from hotels in Taipei City Center. If the hotel lobby is located on an upper level, please meet the tour guide on the ground level of the hotel building. Exact pick-up time will be provided by local operator upon confirmation.
What To Expect
Arrive in Pingxi, a historic coal mining town that played an important role in Taiwan’s 20th-century coal boom. Learn about the age-old tradition of releasing a sky lantern. The nostalgic ritual is said to bring good health and good fortune, and your guide explains the origin of the tradition and how it’s become the focal point of the annual Taiwan Lantern Festival.
Continue to Shifen Old Street, a lively street set around the historic Pingxi rail line, which was built in 1918, and now runs as a tourist train, following a scenic route through the Keelung River Valley. Hear how famous Taiwanese movies such as Hou Hsiao-hsien's ‘Dust In The Wind’ were filmed here and pose for photos on the atmospheric street.
There’s just time for one more stop before returning to the city—the magnificent Shifen Waterfall, a natural wonder nicknamed the ‘Little Niagara of Taiwan’.
Back in Taipei, your tour ends with drop-off at your hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 15 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Times and sequences are subject to change according to the weather and traffic condition.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not recommended for travelers with knee problems
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
- OPERATED BY Edison Travel Service
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
See all safety measures taken by 5-Hour Shifen Old Street Walk and Pingxi Sky Lantern Tour from Taipei.