- Half-day tour of Pingxi from Taipei
- Learn about Taiwan’s heritage on a visit to the historic coal-mining town of Pingxi
- Stroll down Shifen Old Street, where movies such as ‘Dust In The Wind’ were filmed
- Enjoy magnificent views of Shifen Waterfall
- Hotel pickup and drop-off included
Departure & Return
Please meet your tour guide at MRT Zhongxiao Xinsheng Station (BL14 /O07), Exit 2.
What To Expect
Arrive in Pingxi, a historic coal mining town that played an important role in Taiwan’s 20th-century coal boom. Learn about the age-old tradition of releasing a sky lantern. The nostalgic ritual is said to bring good health and good fortune, and your guide explains the origin of the tradition and how it’s become the focal point of the annual Taiwan Lantern Festival.
Continue to Shifen Old Street, a lively street set around the historic Pingxi rail line, which was built in 1918, and now runs as a tourist train, following a scenic route through the Keelung River Valley. Hear how famous Taiwanese movies such as Hou Hsiao-hsien's ‘Dust In The Wind’ were filmed here and pose for photos on the atmospheric street.
There’s just time for one more stop before returning to the city—the magnificent Shifen Waterfall, a natural wonder nicknamed the ‘Little Niagara of Taiwan’.
Back in Taipei, your tour ends with drop-off at your hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- A small amount of walking is involved; comfortable shoes are recommended.
- Most travelers can participate
- Times and sequences are subject to change according to the weather and traffic condition.
- Please arrive at the meeting point 5 minutes earlier than the pick-up time.
- Each guest is allowed to bring one piece of carry-on baggage.
- Not recommended for travelers with physical disabilities.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 41 travelers
- OPERATED BY Edison Travel Service
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff